The Best Locations & Some Secrets for The Perfect Family Photos.
Family Photos in Cape Cod, MA
- Book the date at least a week before your desired photoshoot and coordinate with the whole family to make sure everyone can make it.
- Set up a time. We can schedule the photoshoot in the morning or before/at sunset. Capturing the perfect soft and warm light is one of the main secrets for getting stunning shots.
- Pick the outfits for the family session, and let me know if you have any questions, I am always happy to help.
- Arrive in a good mood, relax, and enjoy the process of taking pictures.
Now you’re probably thinking, but where can we take family photos? When making a choice, it is important to take into account your preference of location, and the type of pictures you’d like to take. In Cape Cod, almost every beach is perfect for taking photos, but they all have different advantages. I have listed and described some of the most popular places below.
Here are some perfect spots for family photos.
Let’s start from the beginning, when you are about to enter Cape, driving on Route 6/6a near the bay.
1. Town Neck Beach, Sandy Neck Beach, Mayflower Beach, Quivett Neck in Sandwich and Dennis, MA
What to expect? Huge parking lots, a calm waterfront with regular tides and white sand. The many surrounding trails and dunes are a perfect complement to this classic Cape Cod beach.
- On Town Neck Beach, you can take photos on the Sandwich Boardwalk. Imagine, you and your family sitting side-by-side, all smiles, with your legs dangling above the deep blue sea.
- Also, Quivett Neck and the other beaches above have trails that stretch to the Cape Cod Museum Of Natural History, which is a truly amazing place.
2. Old Silver Beach, Chappaquoit Beach and The Knob in Falmouth, MA
If you live in Falmouth or near Route 28, there are many beautiful places around Buzzards Bay. The beaches are stunning, and there are spacious parking lots as well.
- Old Silver Beach is as large but works perfectly for taking Cape family photos.
- On Chappaquoit Beach, you can take photos in the dreamy dunes.
- The Knob is a perfect addition to the classic Cape Cod family photography portfolio – it promises a multitude of trails and gorgeous harbor views. As a Cape Cod family photographer, I would highly recommend going there if you are looking for something different from the typical photos.
3. Woods Hole, Nobska Beach, The Nobska Lighthouse and Town of Mashpee Beach – Falmouth and Mashpee, MA
- Woods Hole lets you take a stroll around Eel Pond or capture photos near the Ferry in front of the Cape’s classical buildings. It is one of my favorite places near the town of Falmouth. The location is close to my Cape Cod family and wedding photo studio so I can always get there quickly. Also, one can easily drive to Falmouth beach to take photos there, or go to the Nobska Lighthouse.
- The Nobska Lighthouse is a unique spot- it is the perfect backdrop for classical Cape Cod family photos on the beach. The place is also stunning during sunset because the Lighthouse is located on the top of a hill, making for a gorgeous background for any photograph.
There are also many photo-ops on the way to Mashpee: stop by the Town of Mashpee Beach which promises trails, clean white sand, and national seashore views.
4. Dowses Beach or Crystal Lake in Osterville, MA
- Driving near the Vineyard and Nantucket Sound brings us to Osterville. Nearby, there are two convenient locations: Dowses Beach and Crystal Lake. These lovely spots are close to one another and provide great locations for photos.
- The Wianno Club is another beautiful place in this area for photoshoots.
5. West Dennis Beach and Davis Beach in Dennis, MA
- On the way toward Hyannis, there are a few options for family photographs. West Dennis Beach is a wonderful place for a shoot, as well as Davis Beach which is actually one of the longest beaches in the area!
- West Dennis Beach is a good option for taking photos near the ocean, and if one drives toward the end of the large parking lot, there is a tranquil area boasting trails, harbor-views and classic Provincetown dunes, which is perfect if you’re interested in family portraits.
There are many benefits to a spacious parking lot, so keep this in mind when selecting your location.
6. Hardings Beach, Chatham Lighthouse and Chatham Bars Inn in Harwich, MA
As a Cape Cod wedding and family photographer, I must mention these beautiful locations as well:
- The first one Chatham Lighthouse – if you want me to capture your family photos with classical Cape Cod views, the lighthouse Is one of the best options for us, moreover, the location allows as to take the photos on the Lighthouse Beach witch located nearby, no need to drive elsewhere or spend time moving between the spots.
- Chatham Bars Inn beach is another awesome spot and is especially convenient if you’re staying in the hotel. Take photos on the backdrop of long docks, colorful boats speckling the beach and the quintessential view of ships sailing into the sunset.
7. Nauset Beach or Dune Shacks Trail in Provincetown.
- This route may be time-consuming and tricky to maneuver- it would entail the longest driving time for you if you reside in the middle of the Cape, but it is truly something special. Upon arrival, you’ll need to walk for a while along the winding trail, until you reach the ocean: get ready for your jaw to drop. This location is absolutely worth the challenging journey. Surrounded by dreamlike dunes, infinite sands and a stunning blue sky, you’ll feel like you’re on a different planet altogether! I always recommend this location for romantic, unique engagement photos, but it would also be a wonderful setting for fun and creative family photos.
- The Provincetown area is full of marvelous places and beautiful beaches like the rest of Cape Cod.
As one of the best Cape Cod family photographers, I would be happy to chat and organize a family, engagement, or wedding photo-session for you.
Please do not hesitate to reach out, and schedule a free consultation today!
Your Cape Cod Family photographer – Alex Gordias.